Cornell History: The first three
March 14, 1866
The Cornell Board of Trustees’ Building Committee recommends the construction of the university's first three buildings, later named Morrill, McGraw and White halls. The committee recommended the units within each building have separate entrances to prevent the spread of fire. “Hence for a century … students have been running downstairs, outdoors, in at the next door, and upstairs again,” historian Morris Bishop wrote.